Sunday, October 23, 2016

Digital Blog Post #H



As I began Chapter Ten, I totally saw myself in the teacher Dan that the introduction spoke of. And so as I pondered what concepts I could pull from this chapter I decided to begin with Dan.

The first concept of how best to teach both the class as a whole, as well as any number of diverse differences that may arise, from  among others, language, disability, learning styles, WOW!! It seems like a monumental task, but as I read and study, I remember that the reason I am here now, is that I do want to teach, and being a teacher doesn’t just mean throwing random information out there and hope that my students can grasp it. It takes time to balance how best to provide what works for most, with what also helps those who may not learn as quickly and easily and others. I chose to think that even as I study today, and sometimes feel overwhelmed, that technology from many different sources (perhaps not yet even invented) is the best option to afford my future students as well as my own triumph.

Technology - Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires;

The second concept I chose from this chapter was how Differentiated Instruction (DI) and Universal Design for Learning (UDL) may be very different things but really do work well together.  DI is a methodology to help students one on one so that their learning experiences while different, provide them with maximum potential for the same success as their peers. UDL is an idea to provide for all students the best outcomes, and yet within that plan not lessen anyone else’s chances. Working for the good of all, but recognizing that there are many ways to achieve the same success.


The third concept I chose was the concept was the idea that even though technology can work to provide great outcomes and adaptations, the tools can be low-tech, mid-tech or high-tech. By this we could use the least amount needed as we work to help students through accommodation and not modification. I can also mean that teachers like myself, who were born before technology was a common everyday item, may still help our future students and even learn right along with them and perhaps help them to see that learning and growing are lifelong adventures and nothing to be self-conscious about.

This chapter offered many types of ideas for technology use. From interactive and international newspapers and maps, multilingual web sources, whiteboards, spellers, dictionaries and other writing tools, calculators and other math applications the world is truly expanding the abilities of twenty-first century teachers.  

 Resources Used:
Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
Woolf, R. (22 October, 2016). Word Cloud. Created with use of wordout.com. https://worditout.com/word-cloud/1910105
Woolf, R. (22 October, 2016). Slide Presentation. Created with use of haikudeck.com. https://www.haikudeck.com/technology-uncategorized-presentation-40887d4968#slide4
Woolf, R. (22 October, 2016). Digital creation. Created with use of canvas.com. https://www.canva.com/design/DACCesQ0TJE/qnP-kM5gnoJfXTluTzmbMg/edit


No comments:

Post a Comment