Sunday, September 11, 2016

Digital Blog Post #B - Chapter 2


As I began reading Chapter Two this week, unlike in the introduction to last week’s chapter, I did find that I could identify with the representative teacher called Ava.

Ergo it seems appropriate that the first concept I chose this week is ‘Your Innovation and Technology Readiness’.  In some ways I think that technology could enhance my future students learning, but on the other hand, because I did not grow up with technology, in a sense I feel behind the preverbal eight ball. As I looked at the Figure 2.1 on page 26, I would say that I definitely fall between ‘quick to follow proven success’ and ‘cautious observer’ because while I would characterize myself as positive in attitude, I also know where my true comfort levels lie. The idea of heading into an arena of middle schoolers who grew up with technologies I am hearing two phrases in my head. The first, I’m not sure who originally used this is ‘never let them see you sweat’ because we all know you sweat when you’re nervous. And the other line is a quote from the great FDR ‘the only thing we have to fear is fear itself’. I think I’ll go with FDR, overcome my own fear and move forward with technology!

The second concept, in a sense dovetails into the first. That being that in the Tech Tool 2.1 section on page 25, it discussed ‘apps’  for teaching and learning and for History/ Social Studies it described three specific applications which I could see working well into my future classroom. Early Jamestown, Back in Time and The FDR Years, because history is one of those subjects that is exciting, but even more so if in a way, we can ‘bring it to life’. In the literal sense this is not always easy to do, but through computer technologies history can be unearthed. I remember back in my youth making dioramas and traveling to museums to make history ‘real’ but this can be done through various software programs and that is exciting.

The third concept which I grappled with was the idea of ‘Roles for Technology in Teaching’. As I read this part which details the ways and frequency of technology usage and then the obligatory critics of technology in schools thoughts ran amok in my head. In our world today, technology is everywhere except apparently U.S schools, which in a sense struck me as almost laughable, but not quite. Babies, children and young adults are growing up technology savvy, BUT a majority of the school teachers are still of my generation, not born into it and so still ‘playing catch-up’. Yes, I know that is a wide generalization, and I do see that things are moving toward technology as more and more ‘young’ teachers enter the market.

Overall, as with anything ‘new’ we need to continue to implement and learn what the balance is that will provide the best results and continue to engage our students and help them to continue to succeed. 

Resources:

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Woolf, R. D. (2016, September 11). Digital Blog Post #B. Created with padlet.com screenshot

No comments:

Post a Comment